Saturday, August 11, 2012

Another "Super Promoter" discussion

In my last post I discussed an example of "Super promoters".   People who are both "promoters" in the net promoter context and who "report recommending a lot more" than the average promoter does. In the example I cited, a soccer club, "super promoters" also exhibited other value adding characteristics to the organization, making them very valuable to the organization in a number of dimensions.

Earlier today, in the "Customer Experience Professionals" forum on LinkedIn I saw a post on Customer Advocacy citing a recent study by Market Probe on Bank customers: "2012 Retail Banking Customer Advocacy Monitor".   To read the Market Probe's blog post Click here:

The folks at Market Probe use a term called "Advocates".  I equate "Advocates" to "super promoters". They define Customer Advocacy as:

"Customer Advocacy is a metric involving two constructs: (a) Reports of Recent Expressive Behaviors - How often a customer has recently made positive or negative statements about their bank to others, and (b) Attitudes – The emotional response to their bank that fuels or powers this expressive behavior. Rather than stop at hypothetically-asking a customer their likelihood to recommend, we go beyond that and ask how many times have they spoken positively or negatively about their bank."

The two things Market Probe is measuring: emotional attachment and recommendation behavior seem to be very similar what I'm measuring using the "likely to recommend" question (emotional attachment) and the "how of often have you recommended" question (recommendation behavior).

I don't know Market Probe's entire methodology, so I'm not sure what questions they are asking to determine emotional attachment.  But, it seems to me that for organizations seeking a simple way to get to the same place, the two questions I've used may work.

I encourage readers to look at Market Probe's research on Advocates. The article in their blog I reference above has a lot of good information in it about how Advocates add value in the form of providing better profits and higher revenues to the business (retail banks in this case).

Stewart Nash - stew.nash@gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stewartnash
Click Here to try QuestBack

No comments:

Post a Comment